Membership applications can be processed online through the National website, or through our local Chapter. National WCA rates remain unchanged at $40 per year. Members can also apply or renew online by going to http://www.nationalwca.org/applicants/application.php. Mail to Local Chapter: P.O. Box 53125 Washington, D.C. 20009. Application forms will be available on the chapter website (www.wcadc.org) for you to download.
1. Drexel University, Technically Philly, (PEC) People's Emergency Center, and Flying Kite are putting together an event on Friday, October 12 from 5-9 p.m. There is still space for tech folks, creatives, entrepreneurs, start ups, crafters, and vendors to join in on a pop up event. We are inviting you to be an exhibitor in the event. We will create a pop up party, NeXt, in the space located at 3848-52 Lancaster Avenue (used in 2011 as part of LooK! on Lancaster Avenue). We are providing several projectors, tables for organizations and vendors, a playroom where folks can demo their gaming and technology, and space for the exhibition of visual arts. There is ample space for 3D sculptures and interactive artwork. All spaces are provided for free for the exhibitors. We will provide a table for you at the event, and we will include your logo on materials and publicity.
The party occurs in conjunction with the Second Friday event and the Make Your Mark! Release Party. The event will be catered.
For more information on the event: http://flyingkite.ticketleap.com/lancaster-avenue/
Please confirm participation with Flying Kite Publisher, Michelle Freeman at email@example.com. Send a 300 DPI picture with your logo or product for publicity.
Check their website for updates and information: flyingkitemedia.com
2. WCA NATIONAL CALL FOR ART
LIVING IN THE USA
Juror: Maria Mijares
Mijares studied fine art, literature and philosophy at New England School of Art in Boston, MA, painting at Art Students League in Woodstock, NY, and earned a BA in Fine Art from Rutgers University.
Her work was awarded two Painting Fellowships from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, and the Ludwig Vogelstein Foundation, Inc.(NY) among other honors.
Her contemporary realist paintings have been exhibited nationally and abroad in museum, university, corporate, and alternative galleries.
Mijares’ four large-scale porcelain enamel onsteel murals, entitled “Between Manhattan and Meadowlands” are installed at Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Transit System’s Bergenline Avenue Station in Union City, NJ.
She has lectured at museums, schools, hospitals, community, cancer and caregivers’ support groups, and is featured in two books—a textbook “Fearless Creating” (Dr. Eric Maisel, 1995, G.P. Putnam’s Sons, and “Artists Observed” Harvey Stein, 1986, Harry N. Abrams, Inc., NYC.
She is currently preparing for an upcoming one-woman exhibition at the MORRIS MUSEUM (December13, 2012 – March 17, 2013), “IMMORTAL STRUCTURES: Here and There After.” www.mariamijares.com
October 20, 2012
Submit Entries to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Submission: Living in the USA - WCASD SHOW
Where to View Exhibitions
Best in Show
Most representing the theme: to be the featured artist for 2 months on our online juried show site at www.zhibit.org .
• 1st Place - $100
• 2nd Place - $50
• 3rd Place - $25
1. All entries must be submitted digitally via email to: email@example.com, include the
registration form and how the entry fee will be paid, no later than midnight October 20, 2012.
2. 3D works and video are welcome - up to 3 images of one 3D work , Videos must have a starting image
3. Entry must be a high-resolution image of your art work – acceptable image formats are 8-bits/channel RGB or ARGB color model, JPG, BMP, GIF, PNG and TIFF (JPG is preferred) Maximum image size 5 MB
4. Entry Fee $20.00 WCA members OR $25.00 Non-member for up to 3 entries, fee may be paid through Pay Pal or check mailed to:
WCA/SD Online Show PO Box 2942 La Mesa, Ca 91943-2942
Follow this link to pay with paypal (WCA members)
Follow this link to pay with paypal (non members)
Event: Pyramid Atlantic Up Scale Yard Sale
Date: Saturday, October 13
Time: 9 am - 5 pm
Place: 8230 Georgia Avenue
We will have a hands on papermaking demonstration, hot dogs on the grill and a parking lot filled with items that include gold and silver coins, antique furniture, vintage toys, high-end and wall art, china, stemware, records, a few still-in-the-box electronics, home decor, jewelry and much,much more.
There is also still time to contribute high-quality items to the sale. Contact organizer Christopher Lancette of Orion’s Attic at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
This event is being co-presented with the fabulous folks from Orion's Attic. Proceeds from this event will benefit arts and education programs at Pyramid Atlantic.
Open Studio October 28!
As of July 1, Cynthia began working out of a small studio within the Pyramid Atlantic Art Center in downtown Silver Spring. Feel free to stop by on Sunday, October 28 from 3:00-5:00 pm. Or call (240-475-1047) to set up an appointment to visit at another time .
By the way, the Washington Printmakers Gallery is also located in the same facility and there is always something interesting to see! Visit the website for information on exhibitions and hours.
A New Exhibition
at Holy Cross Hospital Community Art Gallery
Showing from September 10 through December 7, 2012. Reception will take place October 28, 11:00 am-1:00 pm, with Cynthia's Open Studio at 3:00-5:00 pm.
1500 Forest Glen Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910
FREE PARKING on weekends!This Saturday is Yard Sale Saturday at PA