Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Featured Member Artist: Elaine Langerman


ARTIST’S STATEMENT
 
I am fascinated by dreams, fairy tales, mythology and mystical thought.
With my work, I explore the visions I receive through dreams, the subconscious, and intuition. I like to put found objects together to see what happens.

I make work in both 2-and 3-dimensions. I compose, construct, juxtapose and paint. In my quest, I capture images using photographs (my own and others), drawing and painting. I use varying scale systems and points of view, employing image-as-text and text-as-image.

I let these objects, composed of found and fabricated elements, create their own meanings and resonance.

Elaine Langerman
(c) 2011


Permanent Collections:
         National Museum of American Art, Washington, DC.
         National Museum of Women in the Arts
         National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
         University of California, Santa Barbara Davis Library,       
         Special Collections
         University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Special Collections
Selected Exhibitions:
2004 Matter & Spirit, Wells Books Arts Center, Wells College
         Aurora, New York.         
2003 In Flight, travelling book exhibit, till 2005, Guild of
         Book Workers.
2002 Women of the Book, Judith Hoffberg, Curator
         1997-2002 (travel throughout the US), resumed 2003,
         2004, 2005.
2000 Work included in: Dreams: 1900-2000, Science, Art and the
         Unconscious Mind
, Gamwell, Hartmann, Kuspit; Cornell
         University Press, 2000
1995 Fellowship, Virginia Center for the Creative Arts.
         Greenbriar, VA
1992 - 2005, seven grants from the DC Commission on the
         Humanities.     

No comments:

Post a Comment